Saturday, April 5, 2008

At what point does quirkiness become a phobia?

A phobia is an intense, unrealistic fear, which can interfere with the ability
to socialize, work, or go about everyday life, that is brought on by an object,
event or situation.

Ok so now we all know what it is, is this what my hair issues are? I guess most of my family and friends know that I have issues with hair - especially wet hair, much to everyones amusement. Especially Brian's - who refers to it as my "hair fetish".

I was actually starting to think that things were on the improve until this mornings little "incident".

Now I know it's a fact of life that everyone has to deal with hair getting snagged in the shower drain - but I just can't. It's for this reason that keeping the bathrooms clean is "Brian's job". It was only recently that he'd cleaned it so really there was hardly any visible hair. But unbeknownst to me, hair and icebergs have one thing is common - what's visible to the eye is only the tip.

So here I was, happily having a shower, minding my own business when purely by accident I stepped backwards and dragged my foot across the drain. To my horror I snagged some hair and while quickly jumping back not only did the hair that I could see come flying out at me, but attached to it was a whole mass of knotted hair that had been hiding inside the drain.

Before I could gather any semblance of control I let loose an involuntary squeal which was enough to make Brian start freaking out wondering what the hell was going on. He kept asking me what was wrong, but I couldn't even answer him - I was too busy jumping up and down like a maniac trying to wash the hair back towards the drain. It was at this point the gagging and retching started. By this stage Brian had pretty much figured what was going on and had started pissing himself laughing. I couldn't even tell him exactly what had happened because every time I tried to I would start gagging and retching again - which in turn would make him laugh even harder.

So for those of you reading this, you're probably laughing yourselves now. Here's something to make you laugh even more - even trying to type this started some coughing and gagging.

Hmmm, so now that everyone knows how much of a freak I am - do you think this is a phobia and how the hell can I get over it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a big FREAK!
jac xx

Anonymous said...

LMAO !!! your not a freak honey, i think your just funny... I am trying to contain my coughing just reading this..

kathy

Anonymous said...

Drain hair is yuk. And I don't think I could have faced it in pregnancy either!

Hugs,
Fiona